Char-Em Poverty Reduction Initiative
Welcome to www.char-empri.org - the website of Char-Em Poverty Reduction Initiative!
March 21, 2012
Emmet County Fair Grounds Community Building in Petoskey
Char-Em Poverty Reduction Initiative (PRI) will provide pathways out of poverty through people helping people connect with solutions that respect their dignity and build on their strengths.
Since 2007, we have brought together a dynamic group of individuals and organizations to address issues of poverty in our two-county region. The Poverty Reduction Initiative (PRI) is a workgroup of the Char-Em Human Services Coordinating Body. Our initial work has been informed by the efforts of a similar group working since 2004 in the five-county Grand Traverse region.
- Poverty deprives our community of valuable human resources by creating barriers which prevent individuals from realizing their full potential;
- Poverty is a significant regional expense;
- If we understand the issues, local solutions to poverty can be found;
- Individuals and families can exit poverty with a helping hand;
- Our community has the resources and the spirit of collaboration to impact poverty. Regional poverty rate spring 2010 stands at 17.1 percent